Frequently Asked Questions
- Why can’t I vacuum my own mattress?
A. Most standard household vacuums are designed primarily for use on carpets and therefore the stiff bristles embedded in the rotating brush may cause serious damage to the mattress surface as well as other upholstered items. Traditional household or commercial vacuums do not have the extraction power to remove harmful debris such as highly resilient dust mites, bacteria, allergy triggering contaminants that are deeply embedded in the mattress. Also it is important to use a germ killing UV-C Germicidal lamp, it’s the key to effective disinfection and sterilisation.
- How long does it take to service the mattress?
A. The time taken to clean depends upon the size of the mattress and how dirty or stained the mattress is. A king-sized mattress takes approximately 25-45 minutes and a queen-sized mattress takes around 20-40 minutes but this is rough estimate so you can get somewhat of an idea.
- Will the process of sanitising a mattress or upholstered item be messy?
A. The cleaning process is completely green and environmentally friendly. There are no liquids or nasty chemicals used in the sanitation process and beds can be remade 1-2 hours after the service is completed. Since there are no chemicals or perfumes used, it is not necessary to air out the room.
- How do I know if my mattress is in need of sanitizing?
A. We can perform a 5-minute testing procedure that will clearly show the level of contamination present.
- What do I have to do to prepare my mattress for cleaning and sanitizing?
A. Simply remove the linens and any mattress covers that may be present.
- Can mattress cleaning and sanitising cure my allergies?
A. It will help to reduce the severity and frequency of allergy attacks however it doesn’t offer any cure to pre-existing allergies. Many of our customers have found that their particular allergy disappears altogether and the need for regular medication is eliminated. It has been found in the case of asthmatics that around 85% of sufferers are allergic to House Dust Mite droppings, so the chance of us helping an asthma sufferer is very high.
- How old does a mattress have to be before it is worth cleaning?
A. We recommend cleaning your mattress every 6-12 months. Should you suffer from allergies we would recommend more frequently ranging from every 3-6 months depending on the severity of your allergies.
- Can an old mattress be cleaned effectively?
A. Yes, most definitely! Our cleaning process is extremely effective and will make your old mattress clean and fresh again. Mattresses that are old will always have much higher levels of dust mites, dead skin, fungal spores, bacteria and germs so it is very important to have it cleaned for the sake of your health.
- Do protective mattress covers work?
A. Whenever we have tested a mattress with a protective cover, the mattress usually always tests positive for contamination. If you already have one or you are intending to buy one, then only use it on a brand new mattress or a mattress that has just been cleaned and sanitised by us! If you don’t, all you are doing is incubating the contaminants that are already present.
- Is there such a thing as dust mite season as there is with pollen or moulds?
A. Dust mites are found all year round however they may be more prevalent in the summer because of the warmth and higher humidity. People who are sensitive to dust mites often will have symptoms all year-round.In winter time, when people spend more time indoors and keep windows and doors closed, dust mite particles are often still in the house, and they still can be a problem.
- Why is it not wise to vacuum my mattress?
A. Vacuuming will reduce the levels of dust mites within your mattress, but this also has a negative effect on your mattress stripping the protective barrier that is applied within the mattress and on the cover by the manufactures affecting its ability to resist flames.
- I have bought a new mattress and can smell Odours, what is the reason for this and can it be cleaned?
A. The odours is the smell of a new mattress, which is a mixture of fabric, fillings, flame protection, wrapping and also the length of time in storage. Some people are more sensitive to this odour from a new mattress, but the odour should subside within a few weeks and your new mattress will need airing not cleaning.
- Does your cleaning process make a mattress look as good as new by removing all stains?
A. Old stains on a mattress are almost impossible to be removed from the fabric, due to age, body heat and also the nature of the stain, what our mattress cleaning system does is hygienically sanitise and neutralise all stains. Some stains will appear to be much lighter in appearance and will always be fresh smelling after our cleaning process is completed.
- Mould has accumulated on my mattress what is the reason for this and can it be cleaned?
A. Usually if you have mould our advice is to replace your mattress. Black mould on a mattress is caused by body moisture, damp conditions and the lack of ventilation to the mattress. Once you have the problems of black mould stains on your mattress cover there will be high levels of mould and fungal spores within the fillings and can be very bad for your health.
- Will my mattress be wet after cleaning?
A. No, our cleaning process is dry cleaning so will not leave your mattress wet.
- Does the mattress age matter?
A. Any mattress can be cleaned, regardless of age.
- How do dust mites make me sick?
A. The droppings of these mites are the most common trigger of reoccurring allergy and asthma symptoms, especially in humid conditions where dust mites tend to thrive. Each mite produces approximately 20 faecal pellets each day, which means approximately 2000 during its lifetime. The dust mite can get nourishment from its own droppings and may eat them up to three times over.
- Does the average mattress have dust mites in it?
A. Yes, the average mattress has over 2 million dust mites.
- Does vacuuming remove dust mites?
A. Our research has shown that at best normal vacuuming removes only 5% to 10% of dust mite populations.
- How many people will be cleaning my mattress?
A. One professional cleaning member will come and clean your mattress.
- How will you charge me for cleaning my mattress?
A. We have a price list on our website so you can have a look at different services and different prices.
- Can you clean more than one mattress in my home?
A. Yes we are used to cleaning multiple mattresses throughout your whole household. If you make an appointment with us to come and clean your mattress we recommend you have us clean all your mattresses in the house for most effective results.
- When you come and clean my mattress what exactly does the procedure entail?
1. Test Clean, 2. Complete Mattress Clean (this includes the UV treatment) and 3. Sanitise. If Stain and Spot removal is required, this then becomes the final stage 4.
- Can you clean commercial mattresses and residential mattresses?
A. Yes our company provides commercial mattress cleaning and residential mattress cleaning involving the removal of indoor allergens including dust mites, mould, mildew, pollen, spores, fungi, bacteria and viruses. No other mattress cleaning service can offer the same level of cleanliness and hygiene that we can!